- Lines always begin with a capital.
- Punctuate just the same as if it is not a poem.
- If a line of the poem takes more than one line on the page, indent the second line.
- Break up lines where they sound like they should break. Listen to the RHYTHM!
- Sometimes the title is centered, sometimes not.
- Sometimes the poet goes at the top, sometimes at the bottom.
- Sometimes lines are indented to achieve a special effect.
- When you write poetry for yourself, or become a famous poet, you can violate all of these rules.